WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi!

So, I'm new around here, maybe I missed something, but I just can't find how to send e-mail through smtp.webfaction.com with Thunderbird, can't log in to Roundcube and can't send mail with SquirrelMail. I don't even dare to try anything else if even this simple task fails.

I read the instructions and searched the forums here but nothing helped. I get a login incorrect error if I try. I have successfully configured Thunderbird to use my mailboxes, I can receive e-mails, but the SMTP login fails. I did typed my mailbox's password correctly when Thunderbird asked for it.

Also I have tried every possible SMTP configuration settings, but nothing works, it doesn't accept either the username or the password.

Or does the SMTP requires something else, do I need to set up some SMTP authentication different from my mailboxes and their passwords? I use the mailbox's username and password for the SMTP server as well, I haven't found any suggestion that it's not what it needs.

I have 4 mailboxes, Thunderbird can receive e-mail from every one of them, but can't send with any of it.

Furthermore, I can't log in to the webmail using Roundcube, only to SquirrelMail, but even when I try to send e-mail from there I get an error message:
"Authentication failed
Server replied: 535 5.7.0 Error: authentication failed: authentication failure"

Can anyone help? I just don't understand what's going on.

asked 07 Apr '14, 10:50

Lynx
accept rate: 0%

edited 07 Apr '14, 11:34

I would suggest changing the mailbox password via the link below.

https://my.webfaction.com/mailboxes/

If that does allow sending mail then please open a support ticket.

(07 Apr '14, 11:03) aaront ♦♦

Wow! It never occurred to me that maybe the SMTP server doesn't work with passwords which are valid with the IMAP server and valid when creating mailboxes or changing passwords. So... what are the limitations? I don't want to use too weak passwords. I only used characters from the standard English ASCII table. Maybe letters and numbers only? What's the length limit?

(07 Apr '14, 11:17) Lynx

We're not enforcing any limits on password length, and we have no restrictions against the characters that you use in your password. If you can reproduce this problem, then please feel fee to open a support ticket with the details, and we'll be happy to look into it.

(07 Apr '14, 23:32) seanf

I can reproduce the problem with Roundcube webmail, it only accepts passwords max. 61 character long. Apart from that SMTP seems to accept longer ones, maybe there's some characters it doesn't accept. I could try to work out tonight (early morning here) which one and that in those cases the length is a problem or not... but don't know if it's worth opening a support ticket, I don't think too many of the users use very long random generated passwords with a large character set.

(08 Apr '14, 05:17) Lynx
Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×108
×42
×40
×31

question asked: 07 Apr '14, 10:50

question was seen: 6,461 times

last updated: 08 Apr '14, 05:17

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM