WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a heroku application and I want to attach a custom domain to it. The problem is that heroku does not support A records in DNS. They say I should do it using CNAME or something similar. What can I do to forward my domain to myapp.heroku.com?

asked 15 Apr '14, 17:39

akonsu
accept rate: 100%

I used a plugin on heroku for that.

(13 Jun '14, 14:30) akonsu

CNAME records do not forward or redirect anything. CNAME records simply create an alias for an existing hostname. They cannot be set for bare domains, only for subdomains.

If you want myapp.heroku.com to be served at myapp.domain.com, so that myapp.domain.com is what the user sees in their browser address bar once the site is loaded, then create a CNAME record that points myapp.domain.com at myapp.heroku.com.

If you want myapp.domain.com to redirect to myapp.heroku.com, so that myapp.heroku.com is what the user sees in their browser address bar once the site is loaded, then attach myapp.domain.com to a site here at WebFaction, and redirect it via .htaccess. You can also use this technique to redirect your bare domain to myapp.domain.com.

permanent link

answered 15 Apr '14, 20:42

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

edited 15 Apr '14, 20:44

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×128
×105
×4

question asked: 15 Apr '14, 17:39

question was seen: 2,772 times

last updated: 13 Jun '14, 14:30

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM