WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I installed AWstats on my static site last night (1-22-11). My site has been up and running for about two weeks, but AWstats is only showing activity from 1-21-11 forward. Is there any way to get the site stats for the two previous weeks? Is AWstats "retroactive" at all in pulling stats, or does it just show stats from the time it was installed?

asked 23 Jan '11, 12:50

dbhic
accept rate: 0%

Yes. The basics are outlined in the official docs,

http://awstats.sourceforge.net/docs/awstats_faq.html#OLDLOG

On our platform we take care of log management, logs are located in ~/logs/. Awstats is designed to fetch the data from the logs in ~/logs and build its own log file in ./data/log. This is accomplished by a script 'update_awstats.sh'. To do what you would want you should make a copy of this script, modify the paths to include the other logs, and than run it once.

permanent link

answered 23 Jan '11, 13:33

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

I've read in the official docs about that, but I just don't understand how to access my logs. I've created a static site using Dreamweaver on a Mac. I don't understand ~/logs. Where/how do I access and change them? I'm not too knowledgeable, sorry!

(23 Jan '11, 17:52) dbhic

Hi,

Awstats will access your logs for you by running a perl script that reads them and generates your site's info.

You can access the logs by logging into your server via SSH or FTP and navigating to your /home/username/ directory. (Which is also called $HOME or ~/) You can then navigate to the logs directory, then to the frontend directory, and finally to access_sitename.log to see what your log files actually have in them. You shouldn't need to modify them.

(23 Jan '11, 18:10) klynton

So I found the logs, deleted the awstats012011.txt file as the "old log" documentation suggested. Then I updated my stats report and now it only shows stats for yesterday and today. I've read and re-read the docs, but it is very confusing to me. Can anyone give me a step-by-step of what to do to collect all the stats for my site so I can view them? Sorry to be so dense!

(23 Jan '11, 21:42) dbhic

Hi,

I've run the commands to pull the data from the last 7 days into your stats, we rotate the logs after that so you won't be able to get the logs going back further than that.

(23 Jan '11, 23:14) klynton

"...we rotate the logs after that so you won't be able to get the logs going back further than that." Forgive me for checking (maybe there's new info?) but is there absolutely no way to get stats figs for the site/server for the past few months? Maybe we can download from somewhere? If we could get access somehow that would get us out of a hole.

thanks John

(26 Jun '12, 12:09) johnhws

No, sorry - we still do not keep more than 7 days web server logs, so there's no way to get data for the past few months.

(26 Jun '12, 14:08) seanf
showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×18

question asked: 23 Jan '11, 12:50

question was seen: 6,735 times

last updated: 26 Jun '12, 14:08

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM