WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I was looking for self hosted alternatives to ngrok and PageKite (both are open source, but I couldn't figure out a way to get around the various root permissions needed to run the server component). After some research, I came across this Docker project - ssh-reverse-proxy - and this blog post describing how to serve HTTP content from my local computer over a reverse SSH tunnel to a WebFaction Custom App pointing at one of my subdomains. I tested it out and it works (though not sure if the tunnel will stay open long term).

But I have a question: does this violate the TOS or Acceptable Use Policy in any way? I read and reread both and I think it should be fine, but I want to make sure. I plan on using this to:

• Quickly demo dev applications on a fixed subdomain without having to upload or configure them on WebFaction.
  • Run websites that I can't run on my WebFaction Shared Hosting account due to resource consumption (specifically, GitLab which takes a huge amount of RAM) or disk space (ex: private photo gallery to share family pictures with my relatives & friends).

So am I in the clear or does this violate any of the rules?

asked 24 May '14, 00:29

hysan's gravatar image

hysan
accept rate: 0%

No, this doesn't violate our TOS or AUP.

All we ask is that you do not run malicious traffic through the tunnel, and that you don't do anything that will disrupt the server, like consume excessive bandwidth.

If you're looking for a way to keep your tunnel up and running, autossh is a good solution.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 24 May '14, 00:39

seanf's gravatar image

seanf ♦♦
11.9k21333
accept rate: 37%

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response. I won't be doing anything malicious and I don't think I'll be consuming a lot of bandwidth. However, to be sure, is there any way to monitor how much bandwidth I'm using?

Also, thanks for the tip on autossh. Never new about that tool.

(24 May '14, 01:21) hysan hysan's gravatar image

We have bandwidth usage listed in the control panel.

(24 May '14, 02:10) johns ♦♦ johns's gravatar image
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×101
×24
×5

question asked: 24 May '14, 00:29

question was seen: 1,970 times

last updated: 24 May '14, 02:10

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM