WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm sure this is an annoyingly basic question, but I can't find the answer here or in the documentation, and I'm up against a deadline.

I've just now created a domain and a static-only application for it. I want to serve a simple static html page, so that I can verify that DNS changes have propagated, and that my domain now points to webfactions servers. In other words, I'm stuck on the most basic steps to getting a site up and running.

The docs suggest that I put my html file in ~/webapps/<application_name> . What should the tilde expand to? I used Nautilus to connect via FTP to the server, and the /home/ directory is empty.

TL;DR: Where is my home directory, and where should I put a static html page for testing?

Thanks.

asked 28 Jun '14, 00:17

phoenixstorm...
accept rate: 0%

The tilde expands to /home/your_username.

You can't list the contents of /home (it's a security measure) so you should configure your FTP client to connect directly to /home/your_username upon establishing a connection.

permanent link

answered 28 Jun '14, 00:54

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

edited 28 Jun '14, 00:57

Thanks. Accepting your answer instead of my own, because yours explains the reason for the behavior I was seeing.

(28 Jun '14, 00:57) phoenixstorm...

Okay, so connecting via ftp to the folder / resulted in the problem above, but connecting to the folder /my_user_name displayed the directory structure I described by the documentation, including the missing webapps directory and its expected contents.

I like that there is already a "hello, world" page there, so I don't need to do anything else until the DNS changes take place.

permanent link

answered 28 Jun '14, 00:49

phoenixstorm...
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×125
×19
×12
×10

question asked: 28 Jun '14, 00:17

question was seen: 1,889 times

last updated: 28 Jun '14, 00:57

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM