WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I would like to use my custom domain to host a custom ngrok server so that I can do local web development, but expose it as an external URL for device testing. The instructions provided at https://github.com/inconshreveable/ngrok/blob/master/docs/SELFHOSTING.md state I will need to create an A record to point my domain (*.subspace.link) to the IP of the app. Two questions:

• How do I add an A record like this?
  • The instructions say to clone the ngrok repo, perform a make install, and then fire up the server. Can this be done on a Webfaction shared service?

Thank you for any assistance. I'm not web server illiterate, but I am a novice. I'd love to better my knowledge with this challenge, but could use some guidance.

asked 02 Jul '14, 05:25

thejase
accept rate: 0%

edited 02 Jul '14, 05:26

How do I add an A record like this?

If you've pointed your domain at our name servers, then there are two ways to create an A record:

• If you assign the domain to a website in our control panel, then an A record will be generated automatically, using the IP address of the site.
  • You can also create A records manually: see Configuring A Records

If you're using your domain registrar's name servers, then you'll need to use their control panel to create your A record.

The instructions say to clone the ngrok repo, perform a make install, and then fire up the server. Can this be done on a Webfaction shared service?

Most likely, yes. I'm not familiar with with ngrok's specific requirements, but in general you should be able to compile just about anything in your home directory. More information is available here: Installing Software from Source

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 02 Jul '14, 18:55

seanf
12.2k41936
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×104
×102
×21
×1

question asked: 02 Jul '14, 05:25

question was seen: 5,077 times

last updated: 02 Jul '14, 18:55

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM