WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am configuring Mailpoet for Wordpress to send out newsletters. When testing the email preview at http://www.mail-tester.com/

I get the two following messages:

1. Your message is not signed with DKIM
  2. Your reverse DNS does not match with your sending domain.

My understanding is that WebFaction doesn't use DKIM, so I'll leave that alone. Here is the additional info on the second item:

Your IP address 74.55.86.74 is associated with the domain mail6.webfaction.com. Nevertheless your message appears to be sent from smtp.webfaction.com.

You may want to change your pointer (PTR type) DNS record and the host name of your server to the same value.

Here are the tested values for this check: IP: 74.55.86.74 HELO: smtp.webfaction.com rDNS: mail6.webfaction.com

Any help on how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if it is relevant but I added the following SPF record as according to the WebFaction user guide: v=spf1 a:smtp.webfaction.com ~all

Thanks in advance

asked 10 Aug '14, 00:09

Systemaddict
accept rate: 0%

The smtp.webfaction.com domain is a proxy to mail6.webfaction.com. It is designed like this for the future in mind, in case we ever need to add more than 1 outgoing SMTP server. The error should be just a warning and not stop you from sending e-mail or cause issues with sending e-mail. Does it cause the message to not be sent or for the recipient to receive a warning, or is it just the 3rd party mail service saying it is a potential issue?

permanent link

answered 10 Aug '14, 23:55

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

It is the latter, a warning from mail-tester.com which is a service affiliated with Mailpoet which tests how "spammy" an email is. This is the message that was before the other information I posted originally:

"Reverse DNS lookup or reverse DNS resolution (rDNS) is the determination of a domain name that is associated with a given IP address. Some companies such as AOL will reject any message sent from a server without rDNS, so you must ensure that you have one. You cannot associate more than one domain name with a single IP address."

I am able to send the emails, I am just being overly cautious as I had my last newsletter marked as spam (due to some other issues which I have corrected). I've got my rating (according to mail-tester) into an acceptable range, but I am trying to tie up as many loose ends as possible.

Johns, thank you for the information.

(11 Aug '14, 01:11) Systemaddict

I'm having problems with email getting caught by antispam filters and checked with mail-tester.com

The report is quite scary:

Some companies such as AOL will reject any message sent from a server without rDNS, so you must ensure that you have one.

I'm not an english native language, but my understanding of the report is that AOL (at least) actually rejects any mail without rDNS, as a fact, not a hypothesis. Is that true?

About DKIM I've found this https://community.webfaction.com/questions/5205/request-for-dkim-support-on-smtp-at-webfaction and after many years seems that WF mail servers don't implement DKIM yet. Do you still see no need and interest on that to ensure good email deliverability?

Thanks

(26 Feb '15, 15:12) htrex

htrex: AOL works with our e-mail servers. We have not implemented DKIM. Our mail servers typically do not have issues with rejection and if they do you can report it to us and we will resolve it on a case-by-case basis.

(26 Feb '15, 23:38) johns
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×261
×104

question asked: 10 Aug '14, 00:09

question was seen: 4,615 times

last updated: 26 Feb '15, 23:38

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM