WebFaction
Community site: login faq

My Drupal website (3mules.coop) was not sending email. I checked the logs and they showed:

SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

I thought the default behaviour was to use sendmail, so this message wasn't what I expected as an error.

I remembered that there used to be Webfaction docs explaining how to use the SMTP module to send email. My site was not using the SMTP module so I decided to install. When I went to webfaction's docs site to check for the SMTP module docs, I found that they no longer existed. A few google searches seemed to confirm this.

There are various other Webfaction docs on sending email through Webfaction's SMTP servers, so it wasn't hard to find the correct SMTP config details. I set up the SMTP module with:

smtp.webfaction.com
port : 465
encryption : ssl
username : name of my webfaction mailbox
password : password of same mailbox

I tried sending a test mail with this setup and it failed. The message I got was:

SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

I changed my mailbox password and tried again in case I'd misremembered my password, but I got the same result.

I'd be grateful for any help with this. I don't care whether I use the SMTP module or not, but obviously I want to be able to send email.

Edit: I upgraded Drupal core and disabled the SMTP module and the site contact form started working. Maybe it was just a problem with the version of Drupal core that I was using.

asked 15 Aug '14, 08:58

Crantok
accept rate: 0%

edited 17 Aug '14, 14:32

Everything looks fine with your settings. I would suggest testing the mailbox by sending a mesage via Webmail as that will confirm everything is working with the mailbox.

Your account should be able to use sendmail as well. You may want to make sure that your Contact Form is not setting the FROM address to a well known provider or else it will be rejected.

If you still have issues with sending mail from your drupal application please feel free to open a support ticket and we can troubleshoot further.

permanent link

answered 15 Aug '14, 13:01

aaront ♦♦
accept rate: 27%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×63
×42
×10

question asked: 15 Aug '14, 08:58

question was seen: 7,101 times

last updated: 17 Aug '14, 14:32

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM