WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I've been informed that I've gone over the limit of 300 threads. I don't have a particularly good understanding of what a thread is (vs a process) nor do I understand how to reduce the number of threads. I work as a solo dev and don't have much backend experience.

I've been told that I can get my thread count using the following command: ps -u vprnet m |wc -l but I can't get that number to budge doing anything short of deleting an application.

I was pointed to this document as a resource for helping reduce my number of threads, so I headed to ~/webapps/application/apache2/conf/httpd.conf and tried to make some changes that I thought would reduce the number of threads to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd love a good resource to get me up to speed on this stuff.

asked 29 Aug '14, 15:16

mattparrilla
accept rate: 0%

It's a bit strange you overpassed the limit of 300 threads. How many apps do you have running in your server? Keep in mind that that limit is related to the sum of all of them.

Did you already try to push down the parameter ThreadsPerChild for thouse apps are more inactive? What about MaxSpareThreads?

In any case, the limit is per user, you can create different ones for manage each app.

permanent link

answered 29 Aug '14, 15:54

davidvld
accept rate: 0%

ThreadsPerChild is already at 1, though changing it to 2 doesn't change the resulting thread count using the ps -u vprnet m |wc -l command.

Changing MaxSpareThreads similarly doesn't change the count. The default was 5, which I've changed to 2, but no change to the count.

I have 9 apps running on this server, but none of them receive web traffic. I run crons which push HTML to S3, where I serve the content from. (I work at a news org, these are one off projects that use Google Sheets as a CRM. This enables us to spin up projects fairly quickly and cheaply.)

I'm sure I could be doing things better, but this is my first job, I'm the only dev, etc. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated!

(29 Aug '14, 16:24) mattparrilla
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×337
×55
×5

question asked: 29 Aug '14, 15:16

question was seen: 2,689 times

last updated: 29 Aug '14, 16:24

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM