WebFaction
Community site: login faq

So I'm attempting to install Nodebb via the nodejs app. I really don't know what I'm doing, but I'm hoping people will be interested and follow along as I try and piece my way through things.

First step: setup node.js app

Second step: install redis..

this was a straight-forward wget, make , make-install (prefix=home), though I couldn't run make test because of a lack of tcl dependencies.

third step, git co of nodebb seemed to go okay

fourth step,
npm install (using binary from nodejs app ) this seemed to go okay, though a package squawked at not finding a good version of python. I'm not sure what this was referring to but it didn't seem to be critical, I'll probably have to fix a dependency somewhere. I ran npm-install again, and everything seemed fine.

ran nodebb setup, this required making sure node and redis was in my $PATH set the nodebb to run on the same port as the hello_world.js example in the nodejs app.

A few things I'm not sure of: Do I need to be careful of my redis port, I'm assuming nodejs uses it internally, but I'd bet other people want to use it. I don't suppose they can without permissions from me though.. (at least I should set a password and use it eh :)

Started the app. (nodebb start)

I'll be darned, it worked (I'm sure there's problems somewhere)!!!

Does anybody have ideas for the redis install/port/etc? nodebb also had configs for ip binding etc

Thanks

asked 04 Sep '14, 04:11

tdphys
accept rate: 0%

Glad NodeBB is working! Take a look at the NodeBB README - they mention securing Redis in the first step. You can set bind_address and your password in redis.conf. To start Redis with a configuration file, use the full path of the configuration file as first argument to redis-server.

If you have any further questions or issues, feel free to submit a support ticket.

permanent link

answered 04 Sep '14, 14:46

yulian
accept rate: 24%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×34
×3

question asked: 04 Sep '14, 04:11

question was seen: 3,043 times

last updated: 04 Sep '14, 14:46

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM