WebFaction
Community site: login faq

So I setup a private instance of Postgresql. Everything is working fine except if Postgres goes down I can't get the cronjob to bring it back up.

My Postgres script:

PIDFILE="$HOME/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid"
if [ -e "${PIDFILE}" ] && (ps -u $(whoami) -opid= | grep -P "^\s*$(cat ${PIDFILE})$" &> /dev/null); 
 then
  echo "Postgres already running."
  exit 99
fi
echo "Starting up postgres."
$HOME/bin/pg_ctl start -D $HOME/pgsql/data -l $HOME/tmp/pgsql.log -o "-p {PORT}" >> $HOME/tmp/pg_ctl.log 2>&1 
echo $! > "${PIDFILE}"
chmod 644 "${PIDFILE}"

When I run the script I keep getting "Starting up postgres."

On pg_ctl.log I get:

pg_ctl: invalid data in PID file "{HOME}/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid"

On pgsql.log I get:

FATAL: bogus data in lock file "postmaster.pid": " "

Any help would be appreciated.

asked 05 Sep '14, 19:18

jayhalleaux
accept rate: 0%

Does your postmaster.pid actually contain the PID of your active PostgreSQL process?

(06 Sep '14, 00:17) seanf

It does not... just noticed it right now...

The echo $! > "${PIDFILE}" line just inserts a blank space.

(06 Sep '14, 00:46) jayhalleaux

In bash, "$!" means "the PID of the process just launched in the background". In the watchdog script example, the process is launched in the background with "&" at the end of the command, so "$!" makes sense in that context.

In your script, however, you're not running it in the background (nor do you want to be), so you'd not want to use "$!" at all. Instead, rely on the "$HOME/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid" PID file that postgresql generates on its own during startup (i.e, remove the "echo $! > "${PIDFILE}" line).

(06 Sep '14, 01:00) ryans ♦♦

I think the problem is that you're overwriting the postmaster.pid that PostgreSQL creates automatically with an empty string.

Try removing the "echo $! > "${PIDFILE}"" statement from your script.

permanent link

answered 06 Sep '14, 00:54

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

edited 06 Sep '14, 00:54

So I manually created a postmaster.pid with the correct pid inside and it worked like it should. Now with your suggestion I removed that line from the script, however, no file was created. Is there a setting that I missed? I installed postgresql 9.2 with the make world option so I could have all the extensions.

(06 Sep '14, 01:03) jayhalleaux

This should be set via the "external_pid_file" value in your postgresql.conf file. I think it's commented out by default, but you can set it:

external_pid_file = '/home/username/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid'
(06 Sep '14, 01:42) ryans ♦♦

Add a command after 'starting postgres' which removes the previous PID file before starting.

permanent link

answered 05 Sep '14, 21:20

johns
5.3k312
accept rate: 23%

That is not the problem, the problem is that it does not recognize the PID file that was created on the initial startup. Once the postgres is up and running I want it to keep checking if is still running, otherwise create a new instance. If I delete the PID then I will be re-initializing the postgres server every time I run this script which will be every 5 minutes.

Also I noticed where the problem is initially:

echo $! > "${PIDFILE}"

does not place a PID number into the PID file, it just leaves a blank space

(06 Sep '14, 00:10) jayhalleaux
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×108
×81

question asked: 05 Sep '14, 19:18

question was seen: 2,101 times

last updated: 06 Sep '14, 01:42

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM