WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a Ghost 0.40 app created using the automatic Webfaction installer.

Visiting the home page is sometimes quick, and sometimes slow. Requests usually take between 1 - 2 seconds, but sometimes they'll take up to 7 seconds. This occurs without any content changes between the different responses.

I've also noticed that often, the first visit I'll make in a day takes ~7 seconds, then after that, as I add content, every response is much quicker for the rest of the night.

The resource requests (CSS/JS/images) are consistently quick. It's the initial page request that's causing problems.

I ran pingdom's speed test a few times and the bottleneck always occurs while waiting for a response from the server.

Is this a common problem with Ghost?

Is there something else I can do? I have some node.js experience, but I don't really know how to start investigating this issue. I'd appreciate a push in the right direction.

Thanks.

Edit: While moving static assets to nginx has seriously improved resource load times (great thanks to seanf), I'm still sometimes getting long response wait times for the initial HTML request. See the following saved pingdom results:

Wait time: 4.11 seconds

Wait time: 10.33 seconds

Maybe it's a routing issue? Or maybe an issue with Ghost 0.40?

asked 08 Sep '14, 03:35

williamlinton
accept rate: 0%

edited 09 Sep '14, 03:10

Seemingly contrary to your observations, the delay comes from Ghost serving your static images and theme assets.

I tested your site and saw the slow performance. I then created symlink apps to serve your images and theme assets directly from our front-end Nginx, and the site instantly became blazingly fast.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 09 Sep '14, 00:12

seanf
12.2k31836
accept rate: 36%

Wow, that's a pretty serious speed increase. However, I'm still seeing some really long wait times for the initial HTML response -- see my edit for links to pingdom results. Btw, thanks for creating the symlink apps -- they made a huge difference for my site and helped me see how I can implement symlinks in the future.

(09 Sep '14, 03:13) williamlinton
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×67
×27
×6

question asked: 08 Sep '14, 03:35

question was seen: 2,046 times

last updated: 09 Sep '14, 03:13

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM