WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I received the following error "Error establishing a database connection" after resetting my database user password. I assume I now need to renter my old password to fix the problem, but I do not know what that is. :( Help! How can I fix this issue and get my site back up and running. Also, I cannot access the database/phpMyAdmin so no changing lines/codes is possible. (Plus, I am not that tech-savvy).

asked 08 Sep '14, 18:59

rachelgcfl
accept rate: 0%

You'll find the database credentials used by your site in /home/youraccount/webapps/yourapp/wp-confg.php. You can either edit the password in this file to use the new password you created, or make note of the password in this file, and change the database password in the control panel to use the value specified in the file. The database username and password in this file are the same credentials you should use for phpMyAdmin.

I hope this helps!

permanent link

answered 08 Sep '14, 19:04

maryh
1.3k7
accept rate: 35%

Thanks Mary! This sounds easy enough, but where do I find /home/youraccount/webapps/yourapp/wp-confg.php? I don't know what that means or how to get there...

(09 Sep '14, 17:59) rachelgcfl

In this context "youraccount" refers to your WebFaction account name. "/home/youraccount" is the filesystem path of your home directory.

"yourapp" is the name of your application, as shown in the Control Panel Applications list.

Thus, "/home/youraccount/webapps/yourapp/wp-confg.php" would be the full filesystem path to the "wp-confg.php" file for your wordpress application. That's the file you're looking for.

In order to access your files, you use SFTP. You would log into the server via SFTP, starting in your home directory ("/home/youraccount"). You would then open the "webapps" folder, then the "yourapp" folder, and inside would be a file named "wp-config.php". Download that file, open it on your computer, and locate the Database Password as Mary described above.

Hope that helps!

(10 Sep '14, 01:17) ryans ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×108
×84
×14

question asked: 08 Sep '14, 18:59

question was seen: 2,440 times

last updated: 10 Sep '14, 01:17

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM