WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I requested an automatic migration to a new server and from the documentation and confirmation email i know, that the data on the old server will be kept for a week:

"Your data will remain on the original server for a week so if you would like us to revert the migration we can do that for up to a week. After that your original data will be deleted."

does that mean i have actually one week time to check the migration and change my externally managed dns records at any time to switch over the service?

will you stop the processes on the old server during automatic migration?

asked 09 Sep '14, 23:06

Florian
accept rate: 0%

Processes may be stopped during migration, and they usually come back online afterward (via cron). However, your websites will be offline during the migration irrespective of whether or not processes are stopped.

(10 Sep '14, 04:53) ryans ♦♦

No, the amount of time we keep the data available on the old server is completely orthogonal to the amount of time we keep the HTTP proxy running on the old server. We usually keep the HTTP proxy running for two to three days, so if a request arrives for your website on the old server (due to non-updated DNS), the old server will transparently proxy the data from the new one. Since DNS changes usually update and propagate within 24 hours, this is enough time.

Therefore, you'll want to update the external DNS records as soon as possible after the migration, in order to be sure that they've updated and propagated before the transparent HTTP proxy expires.

Hope that clarifies!

permanent link

answered 10 Sep '14, 04:51

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93360
accept rate: 43%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×104
×44

question asked: 09 Sep '14, 23:06

question was seen: 1,652 times

last updated: 10 Sep '14, 04:53

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM