WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Let's say I have a domain foobar.com and I have configured an email address info@foobar.com to be forwarded to foobar@gmail.com. I would like to send emails from Google Mail or Outlook using info@foobar.com as a sender address. But because info@foobar.com is only a forwarding I have no SMTP server login credentials and Google Mail requires those. Is there a solution to this problem? I would somehow need to be able to attach an SMTP user to the forwarded email address without actually storing the emails on the Webfaction server, because doing so would lead to a burial ground of data which no one would ever be going to read.

Regards, Claudio

asked 18 Sep '14, 08:31

claudio
accept rate: 0%

Just create a WebFaction mailbox and use that for your SMTP authentication with smtp.webfaction.com. You don't need to assign any address to the mailbox for this to work.

Storing sent messages on a server is actually an IMAP function, so sending mail via our SMTP server from Gmail will not cause any mail to be stored on WebFaction.

Note, however, that you should only use our SMTP server to send mail with info@foobar.com (for example) as the sender. Using WebFaction’s SMTP server, you may not send email with a sender address domain used by common email providers, including aol.com, gmail.com, hotmail.com, outlook.com, and yahoo.com. To send messages from such providers’ addresses, please use the provider’s SMTP server. All outgoing mail with such a sender address domain is silenty discarded unsent; no error or bounce message is returned to the sender.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 18 Sep '14, 16:40

seanf
12.2k31836
accept rate: 37%

edited 18 Sep '14, 16:52

Thank you very much. This works just the way I need it.

(19 Sep '14, 10:47) claudio
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×259
×41
×19
×6
×4

question asked: 18 Sep '14, 08:31

question was seen: 2,882 times

last updated: 19 Sep '14, 10:47

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM