WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a couple of related questions, hope that I don't break some rules by posting them here.

I'm not happy with my current hosting company and in the process of finding the best hosting for my development needs. WebFaction seemed the most likely choice. So likely that I've signed up and paid for the service.

And everything seems good, much better than my current hosting. But the thing that bothers me is apparent lack of the latest minor versions of Python. Python's site states that minor versions contain important bug and security fixes and unlikely to introduce incompatibilities. There is no Python 3.4.1 (released in April) and 2.7 version is outdated too (there is 2.7.8 since July and only 2.7.5 is installed).

So the questions are: - Is there some schedule for minor version upgrades? - Should I bother to build and install the latest minor version of Python by myself (not consistent with the hosting's motto though which I saw somewhere on the site, something like "Focus on development, not server maintenance")? - Is this hosting really safe only for testing/development environment and not for production because of outdated software packages that contain known security vulnerabilities?

asked 19 Sep '14, 18:38

dsent
accept rate: 0%

Is there some schedule for minor version upgrades? - Should I bother to build and install the latest minor version of Python by myself (not consistent with the hosting's motto though which I saw somewhere on the site, something like "Focus on development, not server maintenance")?

With so many of our customers running projects using Python, deploying of a minor point release is slow because of testing. We try our very hardest to thoroughly test each version so that it doesn't break customer's apps. For important bugfixes we release at a faster pace. If you need a specific feature only available in a bugfix, open a support ticket and we will try to deploy ASAP.

Is this hosting really safe only for testing/development environment and not for production because of outdated software packages that contain known security vulnerabilities?

Yes our system is safe for production applications and many customers are using as such. Both versions mentioned do not contain any major security issues that would cause an emergency release. That being said, we are working/testing updates to both version of python and should be deployed soon.

permanent link

answered 19 Sep '14, 19:41

timg ♦♦
1.3k4
accept rate: 30%

Honestly, I'm quite shocked to receive an answer so fast. Thank you for the info! :-)

It's not that I really need some specific feature or know of some especially harmful bug — it's more that I wanted to be sure that my hosting is tracking security issues and apply updates that fix them in timely manner.

Glad to know that you actually do.

(19 Sep '14, 20:00) dsent

You're very welcome! Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

(19 Sep '14, 20:43) timg ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×337
×113
×25
×8

question asked: 19 Sep '14, 18:38

question was seen: 1,166 times

last updated: 19 Sep '14, 20:43

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM