WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Currently I have one customer that basically creates and activates accounts for some users (an intermedary for third-party services). So, my customer registers clients and receives confirmation email at one mailbox.

So, for each client, a unique email address has to be made in order to receive the confirmation and activation email. So, I need to have like client1[at]domain.com, client2[at]domain.com, and so on, accounts. Since they all are there only to be unique and receive two or three mails, it all goes to a default address (the addresses do not exists, they go to a default one).

So, in cPanel I had the "default address" option, in that way I can have all the addresses I need and check one mailbox. Do I have a similar feature here or do I need to create an email address per client and point it to the unique mailbox? Is there no way that I can redirect all client1 to client999 to the same mailbox without registering all the accounts?

Regards.

asked 09 Oct '14, 17:00

ramoscarlos
accept rate: 0%

You do have the ability to create a catchall email address in our control panel - just use "*" as the front part of the address (eg *@domain.com) and it will be configured as a catchall address which will receive any mail for your domain that isn't sent to an existing address.

That said, catchall addresses can attract a huge amount of spam. A better approach might be to use "+" addressing to create your unique addresses. For example, you could create a mysite@domain.com address, and then use addresses like "mysite+client1@domain.com" and "mysite+client2@domain.com" for your unique addresses. Our MX servers will ignore the text after the "+" and send the message to whatever mailbox (or forwarding target) you have configured for mysite@domain.com.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 09 Oct '14, 19:30

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

edited 09 Oct '14, 19:30

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×70

question asked: 09 Oct '14, 17:00

question was seen: 2,408 times

last updated: 09 Oct '14, 19:30

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM