WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I've got an account with a single machine and want to add another user that can only sftp (no shell).

In the Control Panel, on the Default Directory row, there's a drop-down list which lets you choose the home directory of the primary_username or secondary_username. But there's another text input field following the drop-down list. What is that used for? Whatever I try, I only get errors saying 'You cannot use this as a home directory' or 'This is not a valid path' so it seems of no use (to me).

Furthermore, there's a 'Grant permissions' button at the bottom of the form. Is that a GUI frontend of the setfacl commands?

Are these UI-widgets really of use for no shell users, or are they meant only for shell accounts?

Finally, for the tip wrt adding a convenience symlink from the /home/secondary_username directory to /home/primary_username/webapps/<some_webapp>: it is temporary necessary to change from a no shell to a shell account in order to be able to SSH into that account. Or, when SSH'ed into the primary_username's account: su - secondary_username.

asked 18 Oct '14, 22:53

Roger Erens
accept rate: 0%

Hello Roger,

In the Control Panel, on the Default Directory row, there's a drop-down list which lets you choose the home directory of the primary_username or secondary_username. But there's another text input field following the drop-down list. What is that used for? Whatever I try, I only get errors saying 'You cannot use this as a home directory' or 'This is not a valid path' so it seems of no use (to me).

That extra field let's you add to the path of the pre-selected home directory. In some cases you may have certain directories in '/home/<user>/' that you wish to extend permissions to.

Furthermore, there's a 'Grant permissions' button at the bottom of the form. Is that a GUI frontend of the setfacl commands? Are these UI-widgets really of use for no shell users, or are they meant only for shell accounts?

It's not as customizable as using the 'setfacl' commands, though it is a quick and easy way to grant a user access to a (sub)directory. They can be set for both shell and SFTP access.

For more details, I recommend reviewing our recent blog post, which introduces the feature:

New control panel feature: simple user permissions

I hope this helps! Let us know if there is anything else.

permanent link

answered 20 Oct '14, 01:51

NickR ♦♦
accept rate: 18%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×31
×8
×1

question asked: 18 Oct '14, 22:53

question was seen: 2,878 times

last updated: 20 Oct '14, 01:51

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM