WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Django upgrades its versions frequently, and wants you to stay in sync with security upgrades. Webfaction wants to retain its rep as the premier host for Django. This (from the doc) does not fit: http://docs.webfaction.com/software/django/config.html#upgrading-your-django-libraries

I have done this. Did not like it.

Should be scriptable. How about it?

Alternatively, (or for extra niceness) clear official doc for setting up Django in a virtualenv so we can do it with pip ourselves. There's a few tips in the community forum, for which I am grateful, but this is all part of remaining a premier Django host.

I'm going to virtualenvs soon to deal with the upgrade problem - should have done that in the first place - but if the official upgrade button appeared magically, I would not need to.

Nudge nudge...;-)

Thanks.

asked 20 Oct '14, 17:14

bhaugen
accept rate: 0%

We're not able to provide a reliable upgrade button for Django (nor for any other applications) because we don't control what you do with the contents of the application directory once you've installed an application.

Regarding virtualenv, at the moment it would be difficult to provide a single, clear official set of instructions because of the different ways that people use virtualenv (eg virtualenv vs virtualenvwrapper vs venv in Python 3).

Coincidentally, the developer of mod_wsgi recently posted some instructions for using virtualenvs with mod_wsgi. So, here's my short version of how you can apply that on WebFaction:

1. Install a Django or mod_wsgi app that uses mod_wsgi v3.4 or higher.
  2. Create your virtualenv in whatever manner suits you and install your Django libraries there, along with whatever other libraries you need.
  3. Modify the WSGIDaemonProcess directive in your httpd.conf to remove the "python-path" parameter and replace it with a "python-home" parameter pointing to your viritualenv directory. For example, if you use virtualenvwrapper then your environment is probably in ~/.virtualenvs, and the directive could look like this:

WSGIDaemonProcess django processes=5 python-home=/home/username/.virtualenvs/my_env threads=1

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 22 Oct '14, 18:24

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

edited 22 Oct '14, 18:25

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×55
×6

question asked: 20 Oct '14, 17:14

question was seen: 1,792 times

last updated: 22 Oct '14, 18:25

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM