WebFaction
Community site: login faq

On a dedicated server WF account, I have a PG database for which I need to be able to establish a user/role with the CREATEROLE privilege (or grant that privilege to an existing user/role).

If I understand WF terminology correctly (http://docs.webfaction.com/software/private-databases.html), the database in question is a "shared" rather than a "private" database.

Can I set up such a user, and if so how?

~ Tx, Ken

This question is marked "community wiki".

asked 23 Nov '14, 03:20

kenatsun
accept rate: 20%

Yes, you will need to run a private postgresql cluster created from our control panel to be able to create database users with the CREATEROLE privilege.

This is 'private' as in it runs as your user, in your home directory, and that user has full admin privileges over it.

Databases and database users created using our control panel are on the server-wide install of PostgreSQL, which is shared between all customers on the server (albeit in your case you are the only one) and the database user's privileges there are limited.

permanent link

answered 23 Nov '14, 10:50

iliasr ♦♦
2.2k14
accept rate: 34%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×109
×19
×1

question asked: 23 Nov '14, 03:20

question was seen: 1,824 times

last updated: 23 Nov '14, 10:50

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2021 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM