WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi. I created a new Node.js application to run an instance of ranviermud from my Webfaction account. When I created the application, I checked "Open a port". This opened the port (for example) 20999. I then mounted this application to a domain name (although I'm not sure yet whether this is necessary). Let's say the domain name is "myexamplemud.com".

I then installed ranviermud in the application's directory and ran ~/webapps/my_ranvier_nodejs_app/bin/stop followed by ~/webapps/my_ranvier_nodejs_app/ranviermud/ranvier -v --save=10 --respawn=10 --port=20999 to start the MUD server. (Note that I used the port corresponding to my Webfaction Node.js application port.)

From my ssh session everything runs fine and I can see the MUD server is running. I confirmed the server is accepting requests by connecting to the application from my browser (by HTTP'ing to myexamplemud.com).

However, when I telnet to the application from my local computer (the way the MUD is intended to be interacted with) I cannot seem to connect. I've tried telnet mywebfactionaccount.webfactional.com 20999 which attempts to connect but then fails with "Connection refused". I've tried telnet myexamplemud.com 20999 which first tries to connect to the IP of mywebfactionaccount server and then tries another address which fails with "No route to host".

asked 31 Dec '14, 05:44

fantasolve
accept rate: 0%

I can think of two possible explanations for this:

• (A) There's a DNS problem with mywebfactionaccount.webfactional.com and for some reason it's not returning the correct IP address. Try connecting to the IP explicitly in telnet, instead of using a domain name. If you do determine this to be the problem, let us know and we can regenerate it for you.
  • (B) Your application is listening on 127.0.0.1, not on the open-ports IP address for your server, or the port isn't open in the firewall. You can access the application via HTTP on Port 80 because the request arrives at the front-end Nginx server and is proxy_passed to your application on localhost. But if you try to connect directly on the open port, it fails since the application is only listening on localhost (that is, 127.0.0.1) and not on the open-ports IP or all interfaces (0.0.0.0).

If you're having any trouble checking the above or have any questions, just open a support ticket and we'll be happy to help.

permanent link

answered 31 Dec '14, 09:08

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93360
accept rate: 43%

edited 31 Dec '14, 09:12

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×67
×19
×1

question asked: 31 Dec '14, 05:44

question was seen: 2,975 times

last updated: 31 Dec '14, 09:12

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM