WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi, I'm currently using WebFaction to redirect the domain example.com to a third party server (using an A record). Is it possible to host a website, for example a Wordpress site, on example.com/blog?

One problem that surfaced is that simply visiting the third party server's IP results in a 503 error. The problem is that I have no information on how the third party server is configured.

asked 15 Jan '15, 08:31

peco
accept rate: 0%

It's possible to run a proxy on the remote server to serve requests for example.com/blog from a remote server (ie a site hosted here at webfaction) but that's not something you can configure in DNS.

An easier solution would be to serve the blog from blog.example.com, and redirect example.com/blog to that.

However, all of that requires access to configure the third party server. Without that, I think you're out of luck.

permanent link

answered 15 Jan '15, 22:42

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

Yes it is possible to mount an application on a url like /blog

Please have a look at our documentation here.

permanent link

answered 15 Jan '15, 15:55

bmeyer71 ♦♦
1.5k3613
accept rate: 33%

Sorry, but this didn't work. Even after setting up a Wordpress application and connecting it to example.com/blog, example.com/blog still gets redirected to the third party server's site, where it shows a 404 error (which is of course because the third party server doesn't have anything to show at the example.com/blog address.

example.com is registered with an A record, so I can't even configure the "Normal web traffic (http) is handled by the ---- website" field. I would like to keep example.com under the third party server's handling, while example.com/blog would be handled by a WebFaction-hosted server. Is this possible?

(15 Jan '15, 16:47) peco
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×104

question asked: 15 Jan '15, 08:31

question was seen: 1,813 times

last updated: 15 Jan '15, 22:42

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM