WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Maybe the system has been changed, but just asking to make sure that I did not forget any steps.

Previously I forwarded all my mail from me@domain.com to my Gmail inbox. I also have been able to add a few of my domain emails as the 'send as' address in Gmail, even without creating a mailbox as Gmail simply sends the email to the mentioned email for verification.

Now I want to add a new one, Gmail asks me for my username and password. Does this really mean I must create a mailbox now, just to send emails through SMTP? If yes, must I still select the option "Save to local mailbox" if i want them to directly send to my Gmail account and not be stored in the mailbox?

Should I also create mailboxes for my previously established emails, because the 'STMP via mailbox' way is more secure than the past 'Gmail sends verification email' method?

asked 20 Jan '15, 09:23

burgerdeel
accept rate: 0%

Previously I forwarded all my mail from me@domain.com to my Gmail inbox. I also have been able to add a few of my domain emails as the 'send as' address in Gmail, even without creating a mailbox as Gmail simply sends the email to the mentioned email for verification. Now I want to add a new one, Gmail asks me for my username and password. Does this really mean I must create a mailbox now, just to send emails through SMTP?

Yes, if you wish to send mail from a different address in Gmail, then you must specify SMTP authentication credentials for that address in Gmail. It's a measure that Gmail introduced a while back to cut down on outgoing spam from their service.

If yes, must I still select the option "Save to local mailbox" if i want them to directly send to my Gmail account and not be stored in the mailbox?

You do not need to select "save to local mailbox" for those addresses on our end, unless you want to store messages locally.

Should I also create mailboxes for my previously established emails, because the 'STMP via mailbox' way is more secure than the past 'Gmail sends verification email' method?

You don't need a separate mailbox for each outgoing address you use in Gmail - you can specify the same authentication credentials for each of them.

permanent link

answered 20 Jan '15, 14:22

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×38
×19
×1

question asked: 20 Jan '15, 09:23

question was seen: 2,275 times

last updated: 20 Jan '15, 14:22

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM