WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Okay so I got Tomcat 8 running and I created a subdomain/website to serve it to the public. Everything works fine if I go to sub.domain/app

Now I want to learn the Spring framework by building another application and running it on my tomcat server. I'd like to be able to add this and future Java apps using Webfaction's control panel, and I'd like to be able to connect them with any website I choose.

(How) can I create a symbolic link application to a subfolder within my Tomcat8 application?

asked 22 Jan '15, 20:16

datacat
accept rate: 0%

edited 25 Jan '15, 21:52

Symlink apps can only be used for static content and PHP/CGI apps. They are not what you need here.

What you need to do is:

• Configure your Tomcat server's virtual hosts by following the instructions here: Virtual Hosting and Tomcat, and...
  • In our control panel, assign your Tomcat app to the corresponding sites.
permanent link

answered 23 Jan '15, 01:36

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

Thanks for the answer. With this I feel like I'm on the right track

Related question: I now have the problem of my virtual host giving a 404 error.

I pointed the virtual host to a directory in the webapps folder where put a simple index.html file. I tried adding an alias but that didn't work. I've tried setting up the virtual host through the web interface and by modding server.xml All for naught. Do you have any insights into this problem?

Thanks

(26 Jan '15, 02:09) datacat

Can you paste the Virtual Host configuration here? If you do not want to do that you may send us a support ticket and we can look on the server directly.

(26 Jan '15, 04:26) johns

Fixed, I think

For anyone else with the same problem, Tomcat looks for a folder named ROOT. <host name="sub.domain.com" appbase="webapps/myApp"/>

Place the web pages users will see when they go to sub.domain.com in webapps/myApp/ROOT

Place the web pages users will see when they go to sub.domain.com/directory in webapps/myApp/directory

Thanks for the help!

(27 Jan '15, 02:17) datacat
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×22
×16
×12

question asked: 22 Jan '15, 20:16

question was seen: 3,386 times

last updated: 28 Jan '15, 02:14

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM