WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a domain that's registered at iPower, with the nameservers pointing at webfaction.

I need to use Webfaction for email, and I need to pass web traffic to an IP elsewhere.

The issue I'm having is that after adding the domain to webfaction I only have 2 options for custom DNS records, 'SPF' and 'TXT'. Where's 'A', 'MX' etc?

The obvious thing to do would be to set the DNS up at iPowers end, however they charge a fee for custom DNS setup which is rather galling, so the idea is that the domain nameservers are at webfaction, and all the routing happens there.

Is there a reason I can't set all the normal custom DNS records in webfaction, am I missing something?

asked 02 Apr '15, 10:01

nathan3degrees
accept rate: 0%

You should be able to create an A record for the domain. Our documentation covers how to do that. If you still have an issue then please open a support ticket.

permanent link

answered 02 Apr '15, 11:14

aaront ♦♦
accept rate: 27%

Ah I see! The "external' option is what I needed, I hadn't considered that it must be different to the CNAME option (otherwise it'd be redundant). So I was just looking in the wrong place. Thanks that should do it!

(02 Apr '15, 11:54) nathan3degrees
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×104

question asked: 02 Apr '15, 10:01

question was seen: 3,965 times

last updated: 02 Apr '15, 11:54

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM