WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hello,

I am moving a client from another host to WebFaction.

I am ready to point his domain to the WebFaction DNS, but before I do this, we want to make sure his company's e-mail exchange server transitions smoothly.

I personally don't have any experience with exchange (assume that's MicroSoft Exchange?).

On WebFaction, I've setup all the same e-mail addresses and provided the client with mailbox names, passwords and e-mail server info (and link to WebFaction e-mail docs).

With that said, my client asked:

So as I understand it our current email exchange host will not change, just our passwords?

Which, I'm 99% positive that's yes to both above questions.

Does our exchange host need the new password info or is it just a change on our iPhones/thunderbird password settings etc?

I'm not sure how to answer that question.

Any tips on how to best migrate if someone has an "exchange" server setup? Do they just need to update the exchange server and then all devices will stay functional without any password changing? Does exchange act as a middle man between devices and the email server?

Any help, tips would be appreciated.

I will be sending the client a link to this question so he can listen to the conversation.

Many thanks in advance!

asked 18 May '15, 05:38

mhulse
accept rate: 0%

I'd just like to clarify that since WebFaction does not offer Exchange mail services, you can either:

• Keep the mail hosted at the current Exchange server by not changing the DNS MX records OR;
  • Migrate your mail to be hosted with our mail servers. Note that you will not have the same features as an Exchange server provides. But you've appeared to have started creating the email addresses and mailboxes. You can use a service like mailjumpr.com to copy your mailboxes over if you go with this option. Mail client configurations steps can be found here.

So it really depends on whether the client requires the features Exchange provides before migrating their mail over to us. Otherwise you could split it up so that your website is hosted with us and mail externally.

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

permanent link

answered 18 May '15, 05:54

NickR ♦♦
accept rate: 18%

Thank you Nick! I am new to Exchange, so this is a new learning experience. To clarify, can I set MX records via the WebFaction control panel? Looks like the MX records were setup on the old host, so I have to re-configure this DNS setting no matter what.

(19 May '15, 01:31) mhulse

You're welcome :)

You can do that if we manage the DNS of the domain. That is where the changes should be made. To determine that, you can perform a WHOIS lookup to see where your name servers are assigned.

http://who.is/

(19 May '15, 02:04) NickR ♦♦

Thank you Nick! I greatly appreciate the advice/help! You rock!

(20 May '15, 01:31) mhulse

You're most welcome :)

Let us know if there is anything else, feel free to submit a support ticket if you require any assistance.

(20 May '15, 01:36) NickR ♦♦

Just as an update, adding the MX record was super easy! I just had to point it to their Exchange domain. No problems at all. Thanks again! I love WebFaction! :)

(20 May '15, 02:30) mhulse

Glad it was a breeze for you :)

Do let us know if there is anything else.

(20 May '15, 03:32) NickR ♦♦
showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×259
×8
×4

question asked: 18 May '15, 05:38

question was seen: 1,842 times

last updated: 20 May '15, 03:32

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM