WebFaction
Community site: login faq

After logging into my server through ssh, when I try to run "screen -r" or "screen -rD" my terminal stops responding. I've tried this on two servers with no success. I've used this command a number of times before, with the last successful time being several weeks ago. Running just "screen" on its own, works, but I'm really trying to recover my previous screens. Thanks.

asked 18 Aug '15, 19:02

Marek
accept rate: 0%

We've seen a few reports of this. At this point we think an upgrade between August 12-16 changed a shared library which caused existing screen sessions to freeze. You can create new screen sessions, which work normally, but the old ones are lost (this is similar to what would happen if the server were rebooted, which happens from time to time).

If you'd like to clear them out of your screen list, open a support ticket and we can terminate the processes as root.

Sorry for the bad news. We haven't found a way to recover the old screens and is likely attributable to an unintended incompatibility.

permanent link

answered 19 Aug '15, 00:59

ryans
5.0k104060
accept rate: 43%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×103
×3

question asked: 18 Aug '15, 19:02

question was seen: 2,108 times

last updated: 19 Aug '15, 00:59

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2021 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM