WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'll just use webfaction's CA.

Here are the steps from doc:

To enable your security certificate:
1. Create an applicable website. The website must use a domain covered by your security certificate and HTTPS must be enabled.
2. Upload the certificate and key files to your home directory.
3. If you protected your key with a passphrase, remove the passphrase. The certificate cannot be enabled until you have removed the passphrase.
Open an SSH session to your account.
Enter openssl rsa -in keyfile.key -out keyfile.key2, where keyfile.key is the path to the keyfile, and press Enter.
4. Open a support ticket to request activation of your certificate.

As I'm completely new to this topic, after readling this, I still don't know what to do. Step 1 is done. For step 2, where is my "certificate and key files"? And for step 4, what information should I provide in that ticket?

p.s. My old website(before enabling HTTPS) is http://www.laike9m.com/

asked 29 Aug '15, 12:14

laike9m
accept rate: 0%

edited 29 Aug '15, 12:15

If you will use the WebFaction shared certificate (note that this will will produce a warning that the domain doesn’t match the name of the domain on security certificate), you will need just to create another website record and turn the HTTPS option on. The site will have to be set up exactly like your normal HTTP site with the only difference being that the Security option is set to "Encrypted website (https)".

If you will use your own certificate purchased from a certified SSL vendor, you need to generate a CSR and a private key as described here.

Then you need to purchase your certificate from a vendor of your choice and provide the CSR you have generated when creating the certificate.

When the certificate is ready, you should upload the domain certificate and the intermediate certificates provided by the vendor to your home directory where the CSR and the key would be if you generated them on the server hosting your account.

After that post a support ticket and request that your certificate is activated.

permanent link

answered 29 Aug '15, 12:58

dimitari
accept rate: 36%

So I cannot turn an existing site into HTTPS site using Webfaction shared cert? This could only be done using my own CA?

(29 Aug '15, 13:01) laike9m

You can. However, since the shared certificate is issued to *.webfaction.com, you will get a domain mismatch error.

The connection will still be encrypted, but you will not see a green lock.

This is something that can be used for dev or personal sites.

(29 Aug '15, 13:04) dimitari

Oh, I see.

(29 Aug '15, 13:06) laike9m
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×73

question asked: 29 Aug '15, 12:14

question was seen: 1,834 times

last updated: 29 Aug '15, 13:06

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM