WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Any up-to-date deployment instructions out there for Webfaction for Meteor and Mongo? Everything I've found talks about demeteorize which is deprecated for the current meteor build. I don't want to have to move to a different host to deploy Meteor and Mongo as I really like Webfaction.

I have gotten close with getting Mongo running and Meteor bundle installed, but ran into some snags that left me exhausted and frustrated. So much so that I deleted my meteor and mongo applications to get a fresh start.

I'd like to use mup if possible as this seems to be the way to deploy for the long term without the headaches, but seems there's permissions issues.

asked 25 Oct '15, 05:04

Pete LoGiudice
accept rate: 0%

I was able to get the default meteor app up and running using the installer quite fast.

I've downloaded it using curl https://install.meteor.com/ > install.sh and changed the PREFIX location to $HOME instead of /usr/local and removed the sudo prefix from the mkdir -m 755 and cp "$LAUNCHER" commands around lines 166 and 170. You can see my changes at this patch.

I've then created a 'Custom app (listening on port)' type of application which I've assigned to a website and noted down the assigned port.

Finally I've run:

meteor create ~/my_cool_app
cd ~/my_cool_app
meteor run --port NNNNN

where NNNNN was the port I my app assigned on the control panel.

Looking at the processes with the ps command, a node a mongodb and a meteor process where running and I was able to see the 'Welcome to Meteor!' page.

I doubt mup would work without extensive modification. According to the developers it supports only Debian/Ubuntu flavours at the moment and needs sudo access, which we do not provide as we are offering a managed hosting environment.

permanent link

answered 25 Oct '15, 12:31

iliasr ♦♦
2.1k14
accept rate: 35%

Sweet! I'll give that a try. Thanks for the quick response.

(25 Oct '15, 14:59) Pete LoGiudice

That worked. How do I go about keeping it running once I close the SSH session?

(25 Oct '15, 15:39) Pete LoGiudice

Seems that this solution installs the development environment, but doesn't actually deploy the app.

http://docs.meteor.com/#/full/deploying

Running on your own infrastructure

You can also run your application on your own infrastructure or any hosting provider that can run Node.js apps.

To get started, run

meteor build my_directory This command will generate a fully-contained Node.js application in the form of a tarball. To run this application, you need to provide Node.js 0.10 and a MongoDB server. (The current release of Meteor has been tested with Node 0.10.40.) You can then run the application by invoking node, specifying the HTTP port for the application to listen on, and the MongoDB endpoint.

cd my_directory (cd programs/server && npm install) env PORT=3000 MONGO_URL=mongodb://localhost:27017/myapp node main.js Some packages might require other environment variables. For example, the email package requires a MAIL_URL environment variable.

Any suggestions?

(25 Oct '15, 16:25) Pete LoGiudice

For node.js apps you can use the forever module to make them run in the background.

As for the deploy if you want to go that route read their documentation and use that process.

(26 Oct '15, 01:28) johns
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×29
×5

question asked: 25 Oct '15, 05:04

question was seen: 2,009 times

last updated: 26 Oct '15, 01:28

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM