WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hey guys, so I just want to get rid of my hostgator shared plan that I was using for about 5 years now, I'm pretty sick of their stuff specially after they got bought by EIG. Anyway I have about 7 wordpress websites, 6 of them are pretty "static" in visitors term, like 1k max visitors each per month and are hosted on HostGator, the last one I'm hosting it with DigitalOcean for $5 a month, since I'm thinking it would go up to 10-15k visitors a day in the near future.

The hostgator sites are more portfolio/business type of sites where I have contact info/prices etc, and I basically use my email more than the sites...and the digitalocean one is a type of "viral/news in a specific niche, type of website".

So can I put all the 6 wordpress sites + the digitalocean one, on a single shared $10 webfaction plan? And if my last website will get a ton of visits, can I then upgrade it later on to a better plan? I could go for a bigger plan, but I wanna give them a go first and see how things perform and upgrade later if needed. For now I'm worried if the 1GB of Ram is enough.

Sorry for my English by the way, =(

Thank you all in advance, Stephen

asked 07 Nov '15, 23:14

Stephen Kent
accept rate: 0%

This type of question is always a bit difficult to assess, because we don't know much about your website and traffic patterns. Hosting the 6 small sites wouldn't be an issue, but adding the large one might be.

If the traffic is fairly evenly-spaced across half the day, this comes to about one request every three seconds. Assuming then a variation range of ten times on this baseline, you may have periods of 3-4 requests per second. We currently host many sites that receive this much traffic on a basic 1GB plan.

On the other hand, your site does need to be designed in such a way that it efficiently responds to requests. Making use of the front-end Nginx server for static media helps. You'll want to incorporate database caching and I'd also use a private database instance. If it were me, I'd also look at profiling the site's resource consumption; usually database load is the largest factor, and in that case I'd optimize the most frequently-hit or resource consuming queries, and index all of the tables.

I have seen well-optimized sites that handle 50 times as much traffic as a non-optimized site. Ultimately, you'd need to try and see how well the site performs.

permanent link

answered 08 Nov '15, 01:43

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93260
accept rate: 43%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×244
×113
×19

question asked: 07 Nov '15, 23:14

question was seen: 1,092 times

last updated: 08 Nov '15, 01:43

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM