WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hello, folks.

I'm having some problems in my beggining here at WebFaction. The service is great, but the problem is that I'm not a dev. Let me explain my case step-by-step:

1) Last friday (11/6, 2 days ago), I created the domain here in WebFaction & pointed at my registrar the DNSs to here. My registrar didn't ask the IP Address, and I asked in this post ath this commuinty if this info is essencial. Dear @NickR said no, but said "though if your registrar requires the IPs for those servers...", but how can I know if my registrar requires it? At the simple dashboard they didn't ask this, but is this enough?

2) One day after, when I type www.mydomain.com, the following message appears: "There is no application mounted at the root of this domain." Actually I created the domain + application + website at the root. Other issue: when I type www.mydomain.com/{name of the application}, the website appeared to me, but without the CSS. With this information, I ask:

2.1) Does it mean that the DNS is well pointed to the WebFaction servers? If not, is there another way to know it? Or do I need to wait 48 hours to know?

2.2) If the DNS is well pointed, what can I do to fix the "There is no application mounted at the root of this domain." message?

3) Today I deleted all the infos at WebFaction (domain, application & website). After, I created it all again. I did it in the hope of ensuring that the application is correctly mounted on the root. Now, when I type the domain, appears the standard browser message that "This webpage is not available".

What can I do to fix it all?

Kind regards, Filipe.

asked 08 Nov '15, 11:03

FilipeSpeck
accept rate: 0%

Hello Filipe,

1) Last friday (11/6, 2 days ago), I created the domain here in WebFaction & pointed at my registrar the DNSs to here. My registrar didn't ask the IP Address, and I asked in this post ath this commuinty if this info is essencial. Dear @NickR said no, but said "though if your registrar requires the IPs for those servers...", but how can I know if my registrar requires it? At the simple dashboard they didn't ask this, but is this enough?

Yes, if you were able to change the name servers without being asked for the IP addresses, then they are not needed. You can check the WHOIS information for your domain name to see what name servers you are using.

2) One day after, when I type www.mydomain.com, the following message appears: "There is no application mounted at the root of this domain." Actually I created the domain + application + website at the root. Other issue: when I type www.mydomain.com/{name of the application}, the website appeared to me, but without the CSS. With this information, I ask:

This message means that you have attached your application to subdirectory in your website record, for example http://mydomain.com/application.

If you want to have the applicaftion served when http://mydomain.com is accessed, you should leave the 'URL' section empty when adding an application to the website record in your WebFaction hosting control panel.

2.1) Does it mean that the DNS is well pointed to the WebFaction servers? If not, is there another way to know it? Or do I need to wait 48 hours to know?

Yes, this message is returned by our servers, so that means that your domain is pointed to our server that is hosting your account.

2.2) If the DNS is well pointed, what can I do to fix the "There is no application mounted at the root of this domain." message?

You need to attach your application to the root of the domain name, that is leave the URL empty when you attach the application to the site record in Domains/Websites -> Websites -> the site you are editing.

3) Today I deleted all the infos at WebFaction (domain, application & website). After, I created it all again. I did it in the hope of ensuring that the application is correctly mounted on the root. Now, when I type the domain, appears the standard browser message that "This webpage is not available".

This may happen if you added only the naked domain (mydomain.com) but have not added the www domain yet (www.mydomain.com).

Please post a support ticket, and we will look at this issue further.

permanent link

answered 08 Nov '15, 11:53

dimitari
accept rate: 36%

Thank you, @dimitari. I've just posted a support ticket to follow with the issue.

(08 Nov '15, 14:13) FilipeSpeck
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×244
×128
×104
×11

question asked: 08 Nov '15, 11:03

question was seen: 1,277 times

last updated: 08 Nov '15, 14:13

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM