WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am considering to start using webfaction to host my app, which is to be a subdomain of my current site hosted on another server. Ie I have mysite.com on godaddy and will be hosting myapp.mysite.com on webfaction.

In the other host with mysite.com, I point the subdomain myapp.mysite.com to webfaction's IP, no problems. In the webfaction domain config, do I simply put "myapp.mysite.com" in the domain control panel in the "Name" form?

Thanks, just want to be sure that this won't be a problem before I purchase.

asked 27 Oct '10, 04:56

H_n8
accept rate: 0%

Yes, if your (sub)domian is pointed to the proper WebFaction server, all you need to do is add the (sub)domain to the Domains list in the online Control Panel. You will then be able to assign the (sub)domain to any Website/Application you have.

permanent link

answered 27 Oct '10, 05:17

tie
1.4k13
accept rate: 44%

I have setup my webfaction account and the subdomain is pointing from the other server correctly. Then I put the subdomain in the Domains list as a domain name. The webfaction page "Site not Configured" page appears with the url, so that side of things is working fine.

However I configured a django app following the webfaction screencast, created my Website with the subdomain name selected, but I still get the Site not Configured page, well after the 2-minute wait time. I have in the name the entire subdomain "myapp.mysite.com" without any subdomains. In the documentation it says " Enter the domain name (including the TLD but excluding any prefixes, such as www) in the Name field (e.g. example.com). " Does this mean I should be putting mysite.com as the name and adding myapp as a subdomain? I understood the opposite by the response to my initial question...

permanent link

answered 03 Nov '10, 06:38

H_n8
accept rate: 0%

There are no problems to have myapp.mysite.com added as a main domain.

You should make sure that you actually have your Django application mounted to the root URL path (/) in your Website record.

(03 Nov '10, 06:44) tie

Ok, good to know. Yes, the URL path (/) is in the website record for my django app.

(03 Nov '10, 07:01) H_n8

update: Ok, contacted webfaction and it turns out I had the A record pointed to the wrong IP on webfaction :S So thats why I got a webfaction page and no connection with my app.

(03 Nov '10, 07:46) H_n8

Glad you got it fixed!

(03 Nov '10, 17:58) klynton
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×97
×76
×3

question asked: 27 Oct '10, 04:56

question was seen: 4,723 times

last updated: 03 Nov '10, 17:58

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM