WebFaction
Community site: login faq

The title says it all really. Is it possible to use letsencrypt with Webfaction? Can everything be accomplished by a user or do we need some admin actions? Is there a howto out there that I haven't seen yet?

asked 14 Jan '16, 11:00

danielquinn
accept rate: 14%

This topic has already been covered here. The status has not changed at this time.

permanent link

answered 14 Jan '16, 15:14

bmeyer71 ♦♦
1.5k3613
accept rate: 33%

They (WebFaction) still say they can install certs manually. I think @danielquinn was asking how we could use Let's Encrypt to generate our cert and if there was anything else we needed to do to get it installed.

(16 Jan '16, 21:13) mikemand

I think you can follow the directions on their "How It Works" page to get the binary, and then run the following command:

./letsencrypt-auto certonly --standalone -d example.com -d www.example.com

Changing example.com and www.example.com to your domains, of course. After that, you should have four .pem files:

cert.pem
chain.pem
fullchain.pem
privkey.pem

I do not know which combination of these files WebFaction will need, but I do know the fullchain.pem file is a combination of the cert.pem and chain.pem files.

In case their page changes between the time I loaded it, and the time anyone else is reading this message, here are the steps they have for getting a copy of the binary:

$ git clone https://github.com/letsencrypt/letsencrypt
$ cd letsencrypt
$ ./letsencrypt-auto --help
permanent link

answered 16 Jan '16, 21:18

mikemand
accept rate: 0%

edited 16 Jan '16, 21:29

I finally got time to test this, and found out that their binary tries to use sudo. So this method wont work for us, but if WebFaction can add something to the control panel that would be amazing!

(31 Jan '16, 21:39) mikemand
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×24

question asked: 14 Jan '16, 11:00

question was seen: 2,269 times

last updated: 31 Jan '16, 21:39

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM