WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have always utilized external email servers for myself and clients. I was wondering what is the recommendation and/or any suggestions for utilizing WebFaction email server over an external one. In addition, I am considering becoming an email only host for a few clients and was wondering which option would work best. Just wanted to get anyone and everyone's opinion and would also love to hear what you guys at WebFaction would recommend.

asked 14 Jan '16, 18:03

FredFred
accept rate: 33%

What are your specific needs for your mail system? Once we know that, we'll be better equipped to give you an answer.

(14 Jan '16, 19:52) seanf

I'm just looking at basic email set up. The only things my clients would need would be the ability to attach documents, auto responders, signatures, etc.

(14 Jan '16, 20:05) FredFred

The need to not bother and/or having headaches with administering my own server was one of the top reasons why I left Linode and switched to WebFaction where "everything just works!"

permanent link

answered 14 Jan '16, 18:14

gour
accept rate: 0%

I'm just looking at basic email set up. The only things my clients would need would be the ability to attach documents, auto responders, signatures, etc.

If that's all you need, then our mail system mostly meets your needs.

I say "mostly" because, at the present time, server-side autoresponders can only be managed via our control panel by the main account user. However, there is a user-contributed workaround for that available here: webfaction_autoresponder

If you're using a desktop email client that can generate its own auto-responses, then that becomes a non-issue.

permanent link

answered 14 Jan '16, 20:16

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

edited 14 Jan '16, 20:17

Thanks Sean. Is it possible to automate the set up process?

(14 Jan '16, 21:16) FredFred

Yes, you can setup mailboxes and email addresses with our Control Panel API.

(15 Jan '16, 13:48) seanf

Note, however, that our AUP prohibits "giving unrestricted access to our resources to untrusted users; this includes for instance running an anonymous ftp server or an open webmail service."

So, if you want to automate the creation of email addresses for just a few clients, that's fine. If you're planning to make a mail system that anybody can sign up for and use, that's not allowed.

(15 Jan '16, 13:50) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×261
×113

question asked: 14 Jan '16, 18:03

question was seen: 1,874 times

last updated: 15 Jan '16, 13:50

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM