WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I know that there are two different types of logs, frontend and user, for a webfaction site. The site says that: ~/logs/frontend stores logs associated with website entries and shared Apache. and ~/logs/user stores logs associated with many applications, including popular applications such as Django.

I can't quite seem to see the difference between these two. Basically, I have an API hosted by Webfaction, and I want to know how many people are accessing it every day. These requests can come from an iOS, Android, or Web App all hosted elsewhere. Should I be checking my frontend logs or my user logs for this purpose?

asked 03 Feb '16, 06:04

packd
accept rate: 0%

The access_whatever.log files in ~/logs/frontend are logging everything that hits the front-end Nginx server before it forwards the requests to Apache and your back-end applications.

The remaining logs (ie, ~/logs/frontend/access_whatever_php.log and everything in ~/logs/user) log the traffic from the front-end to the back end. So, if your site is made up different types of applications attached to different URL paths, those logs will have only the requests that hit their specific apps.

So, if you want the most information about your traffic in a single place, use the access_whatever.log files in ~/logs/frontend.

permanent link

answered 03 Feb '16, 13:51

seanf
12.2k41936
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×75
×28
×14
×1

question asked: 03 Feb '16, 06:04

question was seen: 1,336 times

last updated: 03 Feb '16, 13:51

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM