WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am sending private information from a website to a gmail account.

The connection between the client browser and gmail should be secure because gmail is served over https. (I know the client itself is a security risk.)

What about Webfaction sending mail to Gmail? Can I rely on this being secure, or do I need to encrypt the contents of the email myself?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Since posting this question, I have noticed the little red open-padlock icons in gmail. These show that email sent via Webfaction to gmail is often not encrypted. From this evidence, I have decided not to use gmail as a destination for any private website information.

asked 04 Feb '16, 11:47

Crantok
accept rate: 0%

edited 19 Feb '16, 13:49

Our SMTP server is configured to use opportunistic outbound TLS encryption - that is, if the recipient MX server supports TLS for the incoming mail handoff, then our SMTP server will encrypt the message before handing it off to the MX.

Gmail does support this, so you can have a reasonable expectation that your message will be securely transmitted from our SMTP to Gmail.

Note that opportunistic encryption is not perfect - there's a decent explanation of the problem here: THE SAD STATE OF SMTP ENCRYPTION

permanent link

answered 04 Feb '16, 19:58

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Thankyou. +1 for the link you posted. Very readable article.

(04 Feb '16, 20:21) Crantok
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×69
×69
×19
×4

question asked: 04 Feb '16, 11:47

question was seen: 1,551 times

last updated: 19 Feb '16, 13:49

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM