WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I apologize in advance for such a beginner's question, but up until this point all my web projects have been done locally. This is my first experience with a web host and I'm a little lost.

Following this tutorial, I have successfully opened an SSH session to my account. Since I am using a Windows machine, I downloaded PuTTY and configured the connection following this tutorial. When I am asked to open a file to a text editor, I've scoured the net trying to figure out how to do that. I found this and other similar web pages telling me to install rmate using sudo but it says my username is not in the sudoers file and that "this incident will be reported".

What could be a workaround for this? Or is there another way for me to edit my python files locally (since Django requires a lot of files to be edited)? Any sort of help would be appreciated!

asked 02 May '16, 17:19

caustriafxv
accept rate: 0%

That rmate solution seems pretty convoluted to me.

My recommendation is that you do one of the following:

• Use an editor that supports remote file editing natively, or...
  • Use a SFTP client like Filezilla that will let you open remote files for local editing, or...
  • Download all of your files and edit them locally, then upload them when you want to update the server. You can do this with SFTP if you want, but I'd really recommend that you use a version control system like git or Subversion instead.

You also have the option of editing files directly on the server while logged into SSH with PuTTY. The following editors are pre-installed on your server: nano, emacs, and vim.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 02 May '16, 19:09

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

I use Notepad++ as a file editor and the NppFTP plugin allows you to link to remote sites and edit locally, saving back to the remote site.

That would enable you to edit in place and is OK for quick fixes but I would not advocate relying on that as a strategy for web development.

It would be better to make changes to a "Test" or "Staging" copy of the site and test that first before copying the changed files to the live environment.

permanent link

answered 02 May '16, 20:14

jrdr
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×909
×103

question asked: 02 May '16, 17:19

question was seen: 2,750 times

last updated: 02 May '16, 20:14

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM