WebFaction
Community site: login faq

If I was to setup a new separate account with webfaction (with a different username) is it possible to copy/move/migrate apps from the old account to the new one without having to install these apps in the in the new account via the control panel and export/import all the various products/plugins/settings etc.

I'm just wondering if there's an easier way; i.e. create 'custom apps' in the new account with the same app name as the app you want to move and simply copy the app directly from ~/webapps in the old account to the new replacing the custom app folder (and then export/import databases).

Or is it the long way round only?

Thanks, Ian.

asked 08 Feb '11, 09:20

urbanian
accept rate: 0%

edited 08 Feb '11, 09:21

Unfortunately, the best way is to create identical apps on the new server and move the data over. Custom apps aren't a good option. Custom apps do not configure databases, or other necessary files.

permanent link

answered 08 Feb '11, 09:55

aaronh ♦♦
1.3k3
accept rate: 34%

Ok... so new apps are required. Do you know if there is any way to copy the actual content (files within file system) without having to ftp it all out onto my local machine and then back into the new account? That's going to take a ridiculous number of hours so if there's a way to do it using SSH terminal (that's quicker) then that would be great. I can't see any reference to doing this between two separate accounts in the documentation though. Thanks, Ian.

(08 Feb '11, 14:27) urbanian

Follow the migration documentation,

http://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/moving.html#migrating-servers

(08 Feb '11, 15:32) johns

I didn't spot the username@machine.address in the 'copy files' section - I originally read that as though it still required you to be transferring files between two machines under the same account!

(09 Feb '11, 03:34) urbanian
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×54
×17
×10

question asked: 08 Feb '11, 09:20

question was seen: 2,859 times

last updated: 09 Feb '11, 03:34

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM