WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a Symbolic link app powering a subdomain on my website, so it's identical to the main website.

Within that file structure, there are 2 subdirectories that I'd love to disconnect from the symlink, so that the subdomain can do its own thing without affecting the main website.

Is this within the realm of possibility? If it is, could the API do this automatically for future subdomains?

asked 06 Jun '16, 20:58

danfo
accept rate: 0%

edited 06 Jun '16, 21:00

You can't 'disconnect' a sym link app and have it still function. It either exists or it does not exist. What you likely need to do is implement .htaccess rules which disallow access to the sub-directories you don't want people to access.

Order Deny,Allow
allow from all
<Files subdirectory/*>
deny from all
</Files>
permanent link

answered 06 Jun '16, 21:21

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

Not quite what I'm going for - there are 2 content directories where I want the subdomains to be able to create/edit their own content, but everything else I want to sync with the main site, for consistency and maintainability (styles, templates, whatnot).

(06 Jun '16, 22:45) danfo

Without seeing an example it is difficult to say what you will need. It will likely be a combination of htaccess rules and control panel configuration. You may consider submitting a support ticket so we can see the exact use case.

(06 Jun '16, 23:06) johns
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×17
×15
×12

question asked: 06 Jun '16, 20:58

question was seen: 1,157 times

last updated: 06 Jun '16, 23:06

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM