WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm moving a domain to be hosted at webfaction and need to keep the email running smoothly. Currently the email is microsoft office 365...would it be ok to just keep the email EXTERNAL and just add the MX record?

asked 30 Jul '16, 02:53

wesleysoccer
accept rate: 0%

Hello,

If you are not changing the domains name servers then all you need to do is point said domain to your designated server IP via A record. That would not affect your mail at all.

If you need to change the name servers, then you should configure your Office 365 MX records for the domain in our control panel prior to changing the name servers. This will minimize the downtime a lot, but not eliminate it completely.

So you would Add the domain, then Configure the MX records. Finally, point your domain to WebFaction's name servers.

I hope this helps. If you require further assistance, feel free to open a support ticket with us.

permanent link

answered 30 Jul '16, 03:15

NickR ♦♦
accept rate: 20%

edited 30 Jul '16, 03:16

yes I had to change the name servers to point to webfaction...I will make all MX, CNAME, TXT changes....thanks

permanent link

answered 30 Jul '16, 03:21

wesleysoccer

You're welcome, let us know if there is any other way we can help.

(30 Jul '16, 03:26) NickR ♦♦

When I set the CNAME for autodiscover?

1. Create a subdomain autodiscover.<example.com>
  2. Create a CNAME record autodiscover.outlook.com for the subdomain autodiscover.<example.com>?

Do I add the autodiscover.outlook.com right below in the field when you click on CNAME?

Also, do I click external email too?

permanent link

answered 30 Jul '16, 03:27

wesleysoccer

From the information you've given so far, you just need to create a subdomain 'autodiscover.<example.com>', then set the CNAME value for that domain to 'autodiscover.outlook.com', then Save. That should be it for that one.

(30 Jul '16, 03:37) NickR ♦♦

ok so I just leave the email to Webfaction with the CNAME?

I set the MX and TXT up under the example.com domain....

Thanks

permanent link

answered 30 Jul '16, 03:40

wesleysoccer

Right, you can ignore any other parts besides what I've described for that subdomain.

(30 Jul '16, 03:42) NickR ♦♦

ok it just sets it up external automatically...thanks a great deal...how much email downtime is normal?

permanent link

answered 30 Jul '16, 03:42

wesleysoccer

It can vary greatly, say between 15 minutes and 48 hours (for global propagation). The benefit of pre-configuring the DNS is that whenever it all gets to us it should pick up on those DNS settings. And then it's business as usual. Your domains' registrar is making the switch, so you should check with them regarding the change. You can also use an online service to check the DNS propagation (http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx), see 'DNS Check' from the drop down.

(30 Jul '16, 03:49) NickR ♦♦

what I meant was External CNAME is set...email settings are not available...sorry for all the messages...ugh

permanent link

answered 30 Jul '16, 03:46

wesleysoccer

It's okay, that should be fine. I suspect you don't have any emails @autodiscover.<example.com>, which is what that message is referring to, so you can ignore it.

If you need further assistance, perhaps we can continue via support ticket:

https://my.webfaction.com/open-support-ticket

(30 Jul '16, 04:07) NickR ♦♦

Thanks for the help and resource!

permanent link

answered 30 Jul '16, 03:51

wesleysoccer

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×3

question asked: 30 Jul '16, 02:53

question was seen: 3,147 times

last updated: 30 Jul '16, 04:07

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2021 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM