WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hello, I have two blogs made with Ghost and hosted on webfaction.

Under SSH for each blog I have this structure:

bin
ghost
lib
run

I know that webfaction already does a daily backup of my stuff, but I'd like to have a personal copy too.
For this reason I put the "ghost" folder under git, I set-up a private repository on bitbucket, and at the moment from SSH I'm manually entering the commands

git add .
git commit -m "Backup on DD/MM/YYYY"
git push

From my webfaction account I've generated a SSH key and then I added it to my bitbucket account, and now I can access my private repositories from webfaction SSH. In the future I'd like to set up a cron job that might do a daily backup of my site.

Do you think that this is a safe and good idea ? Are there any security flaws in this process that I should be aware of?

Thank you and best regards

asked 11 Aug '16, 17:40

Cesco
accept rate: 0%

edited 11 Aug '16, 17:42

I know that webfaction already does a daily backup of my stuff, but I'd like to have a personal copy too.

Actually, we back up only once per week, and we keep only a two week history of backups. We very strongly recommend that you keep your own offsite backups of your data, made according to whatever schedule meets your needs - so it's good that you're doing this!

From my webfaction account I've generated a SSH key and then I added it to my bitbucket account, and now I can access my private repositories from webfaction SSH. In the future I'd like to set up a cron job that might do a daily backup of my site.

Do you think that this is a safe and good idea ? Are there any security flaws in this process that I should be aware of?

Sure, it's a great idea. Just be sure to keep your home directory permissions secure, so that other users can't get to your keys.

permanent link

answered 11 Aug '16, 18:53

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Thank you very much

(13 Aug '16, 09:09) Cesco
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×111
×36
×27
×11

question asked: 11 Aug '16, 17:40

question was seen: 1,674 times

last updated: 13 Aug '16, 09:09

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM