WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi,

I've come across this peculiar scenario,

I set up a simple website (it's even on my *.webfactional.com) to showcase something to a friend. I sent him an email with the URL.

I also set up AWStats for that domain and the website has Google Analytics (GA) enabled. I wanted when to know when did my friend opened up the page.

If I look at my site's history through (GA) it's pretty much zero, because only me and my friend know about this link. Looking through the logs, I only see two IPs in there, both of them are mine.

A couple days ago, some visits from UK started showing on GA, that makes sense because my friend lives there. But on AWStats and manually looking through the logs, I still see no hits other than the ones from my two IPs.

Could it be the case that some visits are not being 'logged' in the frontend logs?

Or, viceversa, is GA showing me spurious data?

Which data should I rely on more? I'd say the logs, but I find it really interesting that the UK hits from GA are similar to the timing and profile of my friend's activity.

asked 14 Oct '16, 13:54

Alejandro Mo...
accept rate: 0%

edited 14 Oct '16, 13:55

It sounds to me like you've got some client-side caching going on, eg some visits are being served from the browser cache, so they don't show up in your access logs on the server. Those hits will still load GA (via client-side JS) and show up there.

permanent link

answered 14 Oct '16, 19:52

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

That sounds plausible. But I don't have any IP from the UK registered anywhere (i.e. the first hit). Your comment got me thinking if webfaction may be using some kind of CDN to deliver content overseas.

(15 Oct '16, 13:33) Alejandro Mo...

WebFaction does not use any CDN and it does not do any caching on any servers by default.

(15 Oct '16, 13:37) aaront ♦♦

Thanks aaront. I can (now) confirm that as well. I've ran two cloud servers (one in Ireland, another one in Germany), and requested the page from there. It went directly to WF's servers and they were logged immediately with their respective IPs.

(15 Oct '16, 15:36) Alejandro Mo...
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×28
×18
×15
×15

question asked: 14 Oct '16, 13:54

question was seen: 1,974 times

last updated: 15 Oct '16, 15:36

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM