WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hello,

I've setup BackupPC on a small server (not Webfaction) and I am trying to backup my sites on webfaction. I can confirm that the setup works fine, because I already did a full backup on another VPS. When I try to do a backup on my webfaction sites, though, I get the following error on BackupPC log:

Read EOF: Connection reset by peer Tried again: got 0 bytes Done: 0 files, 0 bytes Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes) Backup aborted (Unable to read 4 bytes)

I am guessing that it has to do with permissions and my question is whether it is possible to have BackupPC connect to my Webfaction account and perform the backups.

Thanks!

This question is marked "community wiki".

asked 03 Nov '16, 20:07

gsarig
accept rate: 66%

edited 03 Nov '16, 21:03

Thank you for your quick reply.

I was hoping that it was some mistake of mine and not some limitation by Webfaction and apparently that was the case.

Since I figured it out myself, I'm posting the answer to my question, just in case someone else needs it in the future:

Before using backuppc to connect with the Webfaction server, you need to ssh once from the terminal, in order to reply "yes" to the question saying "the authenticity of the host cannot be established blah blah, are you sure?". By doing so, you add the Webfaction ip to the list of known hosts and you can then use backuppc to connect to the server.

My mistake was that I did this as the root user and not as the "backuppc" user. When I did it correctly (ssh'd as the backuppc user), I was able to use backuppc with no issues.

-- As a sidenote, BackupPC is a great way to backup data and apparently it works fine with Webfaction. It uses rsync to perform scheduled full and incremental backups and it visualizes your data, so that you can easily compare and restore specific files or folders. For anyone interested, a nice installation guide can be found here: http://www.plugged.in/linux/centos-7-backuppc-installation-guide.html

permanent link

answered 04 Nov '16, 00:04

gsarig
accept rate: 66%

I'm not familiar with BackupPC, but after having a quick look at its documentation, I don't see any reason why you should not be able to use ti to back up your WebFaction account.

If you can update your question to include your configuration details (omitting any sensitive info, of course) then we might be able to assist further.

If you prefer to troubleshoot this privately, then feel free to open a support ticket.

permanent link

answered 03 Nov '16, 23:34

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×36
×2

question asked: 03 Nov '16, 20:07

question was seen: 1,703 times

last updated: 04 Nov '16, 00:04

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2021 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM