WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi all,

I've attempted to follow the instructions from 2013 for installing Discourse on WebFaction Shared Hosting accounts, and have successfully reached Step 6, but the last two commands-

cp config/database.yml.production-sample config/database.yml
cp config/redis.yml.sample config/redis.yml

-no longer apply (there's no redis.yml file anymore, and inside of database.yml they have now removed the 'production' section in the latest version of Discourse).

So now I'm stuck- I can't get root access on WebFaction shared hosting to install the Discourse docker image the way Discourse recommends, and I can't seem to find anything written about doing a dockerless install anywhere else, so I'm not sure where to go from here. I'd still love to get it working, so I haven't quite given up yet.

If anyone here has the latest version of Discourse (1.6) currently working on WebFaction shared hosting, I'd love some advice to get it working from here.

Thanks!

asked 13 Nov '16, 00:12

markd's gravatar image

markd
accept rate: 0%

Not sure its possible on our platform any longer. According to their official support threads its not supported without docker, and that requires root which we can not provide on our managed platform.

permanent link

answered 13 Nov '16, 03:14

johns's gravatar image

johns ♦♦
4.9k29
accept rate: 23%

Thanks heaps for letting me know. Saved me what would have been a ton of time trying to get it working!

I'll start looking for an alternative hosting platform for it.

Cheers!

permanent link

answered 13 Nov '16, 05:09

markd's gravatar image

markd

What about NodeBB? Its interface is quite similar https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB

permanent link

answered 30 Sep, 15:15

nube's gravatar image

nube

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×3

question asked: 13 Nov '16, 00:12

question was seen: 601 times

last updated: 30 Sep, 15:15

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM