WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have the family emails, name@mydomain.co.uk, forwarded to GMail and this works fine for normal email use.

However, I've written a small app that sends out emails when requested (hoping to automate for weekly at some point) but these mails are not being forwarded to those users with an email on mydomain.co.uk.

The app uses Webfaction SMTP so I'm guessing it is something to do with the mail being sent and received from/into the same domain? If the family change their email address to their GMail one then the mails get received OK, but this is not ideal as they should be able to use their 'real' mail addresses.

Any ideas much appreciated

Edit: it turns out that they are not being received by any address other than GMail as another user on a different domain also does not receive them. Weird that GMail does (though it does post them to spam until you teach it different). I don't have spam filtering set up on the mail accounts on webfaction.
There doesn't appear to be any mail logging for users either so I can't check that.

asked 20 Dec '16, 12:17

ssherlock
accept rate: 100%

edited 20 Dec '16, 12:24

Thanks, that helped a bit but I ended up raising a ticket. From there I was told that the reply to address needed creating (it was an invalid one on purpose so as not to get replies) as mail without a valid return-to address was being bounced.

This has fixed the issue.

Thanks

permanent link

answered 21 Dec '16, 05:19

ssherlock
accept rate: 100%

You can configure the application to dump the SMTP transaction. This will show the data sent by the application and the data returned by the server, which will help you troubleshoot the issue.

You can also post a support ticket and provide the name of the mailbox as well as the e-mail addresses of the sender and the recipient, so that we can check our mail logs.

permanent link

answered 20 Dec '16, 15:22

dimitari
accept rate: 36%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×261
×1

question asked: 20 Dec '16, 12:17

question was seen: 1,394 times

last updated: 21 Dec '16, 05:19

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM