WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I was severely hospitalized recently and was unable to use the internet for almost 2 months. That's when my account got expired. I can no longer login into my account. Is there any way to retrieve all my data back?

It seems really shitty that webfaction would do this, the least they could've done is made the backup available to download somewhere in tar.gz format and then they could've deleted my account.

I'm willing to pay extra to get backups of my data, but it seems like I can no longer login into my support account as well and WF hasn't been responding on twitter. I'm at my wit's end here. Any help is appreciated. Thankyou

asked 24 Dec '16, 08:42

deepakmittal's gravatar image

deepakmittal
accept rate: 0%

Our oldest backup dates to two days after your account was deleted, so no - I'm sorry, but your data is already gone.

We generally give 2 weeks of notice before disabling an account for non-payment, keep the data on your server for an additional month, and then have another 1-2 weeks of extra time on our oldest backup afterward. If we haven't heard from you by then, all of the data rotates out.

So, we do essentially keep your data in case you need it, but not for longer than 6-8 weeks.

permanent link

answered 24 Dec '16, 09:02

ryans's gravatar image

ryans ♦♦
5.0k62856
accept rate: 43%

So there's no way to get the data back? Also I never received a two week notice. I only have a notice for 30 days which I received on Oct 14.

(24 Dec '16, 09:40) deepakmittal deepakmittal's gravatar image

Yes, there is no way to get the data back. The oldest backup we have for the server that was hosting your account was done after your account was removed from our servers.

Our system has sent e-mails to the two contact addresses for your account on 2016-10-01 with follow-ups on 2016-10-07, 2016-10-10, 2016-10-11, 2016-10-12, 2016-10-13, and the message that your account was disabled on 2016-10-14.

Your account was completely removed on 2016-12-13 - two months after it was disabled.

(24 Dec '16, 10:06) dimitari dimitari's gravatar image

That's what I was saying, there should've been another email prior to complete deletion. Within the two month timeframe, I didn't receive any email. The entire situation could've been avoided if I was informed in these two months. Oh well, I guess thats what I get for using webfaction.

(24 Dec '16, 16:21) deepakmittal deepakmittal's gravatar image

The actions WebFaction takes with regard to account termination are outlined in the terms of service.

(24 Dec '16, 16:43) maryh ♦♦ maryh's gravatar image
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×20

question asked: 24 Dec '16, 08:42

question was seen: 592 times

last updated: 29 Dec '16, 20:39

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2017 PARAGON INTERNET GROUP LIMITED