I was going to install RVM in my home directory just a little while ago.

I noticed that part of the compile process for ruby was taking up much more memory than I'm allowed. It was around 200 MB when I checked, so I killed the process.

What's the appropriate way to install stuff when this happens? Is being over the memory limit for a short period of time okay?

asked 11 Feb '11, 13:20

timster's gravatar image

timster
accept rate: 0%

Being over the limit for a very short period of time is OK, but our monitors are pretty aggressive, so I think any non-trivial build process that uses that much memory will be running long enough for our monitors to notice.

If you want to add extra RAM just for a single day, you can do that - just use the upgrades form in the control panel to request the extra RAM, then use the form the next day to let us know you want to cancel it.

Hope that helps!

link

answered 11 Feb '11, 17:22

seanf's gravatar image

seanf ♦♦
8.0k1726
accept rate: 39%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×77
×71
×8

Asked: 11 Feb '11, 13:20

Seen: 1,983 times

Last updated: 11 Feb '11, 17:22

Plans & prices    Sign up    Why WebFaction?    Contact us    Affiliate program    Support    Legal    Jobs    Blog    Control panel login