WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hello!

I'm using A records to direct the site traffic to WebFaction from my domain name registrar. The 72 hour DNS propagation period has passed, but on occasion I am still getting sent to the parked domain page. From the DNS settings page on the registrar site, there are records that I believe could be the cause ...

The first one is an A record using @ as a host and the IP points to the registrar's default servers. The second is a CNAME record pointing www to @.

Is it possible that these records are causing a conflict?

asked 22 Mar, 20:47

marknagengast's gravatar image

marknagengast
accept rate: 0%

Yes, you should not use a CNAME unless it is on its own sub-domain. You should use a 301 redirect.

permanent link

answered 23 Mar, 04:45

johns's gravatar image

johns ♦♦
4.8k29
accept rate: 22%

Ok, so I am getting rid of the CNAME record for sure.

Does the A record pointing @ to the registrar's servers belong there?

To point my main site to Webfaction, I have added A records pointing my bare domain and the www subdomain to my WebFaction server IP. It has been over 4 days now since I made the update. Only seems to work 50% of the time, and I've flushed my local DNS cache multiple times. I am having this happen with both the bare domain and the www subdomain.

(23 Mar, 10:56) marknagengast marknagengast's gravatar image

Sounds like it might be a problem with your registrar. We'll need to know the actual domain to troubleshoot further. If you don't want to share that info here in the public forum, then feel free top open a support ticket.

(23 Mar, 15:19) seanf ♦♦ seanf's gravatar image
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×126
×102
×2

question asked: 22 Mar, 20:47

question was seen: 698 times

last updated: 23 Mar, 15:19

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM