WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi,

I have two Webfaction servers and I use BackupPC installed on a third VPS to keep daily incremental backups for both of them.

About a month ago, the one account was migrated to a new server (from web520 to web567). From that point on, I can't perform new backups on that particular server. BackupPC seems to connect OK to the server with no errors or warnings, but the backups never finish, neither when I use rsync as the backup method, nor tar (I even waited a few days before cancelling it).

On the other Webfaction server (web527) everything works fine using the tar method.

When I try to ssh the web567 server from the BackupPC server, I see no problems and no difference compared to connecting to the web527 (which, as I said, works fine). I also tried backing up only a small folder of 60MB, in case the delay was caused by the amount of data (which isn't huge, anyway). Even then, it's been two days and it still didn't finish.

The problem occurs only on the web567 server, and only after the IP change. The settings are the exact same for both servers and they used to work fine before. I think I tried everything I could on the VPS and I was wondering if some setting on my new Webfaction server has changed after the migration, preventing me from performing the backups.

Any ideas would be appreciated,

Thanks!

asked 24 Mar, 20:31

gsarig's gravatar image

gsarig
accept rate: 100%

It's certainly not reasonable for an rsync of 60MB of data to take two days and we'd never intentionally configure a setting to prevent you from transferring data. Can you update your question with some method we can use to reproduce the problem for further investigation? Alternatively, you can open a support ticket. Note: it goes without saying that we'll never need or ask for your account password.

You might also try running an mtr -r -w -c100 report from your VPS to your WebFaction server to see if there's some obvious network problem between them. If you need us to run the mtr the other direction, we'd be happy to do so for you.

(25 Mar, 04:49) ryans ♦♦ ryans's gravatar image

Well, I can't think of a way to reproduce the problem. Apart from the Webfaction server, there is the 3rd party VPS to which BackupPC is installed. Even then, my one Webfaction server works fine, while the other isn't (even when I use the exact same settings).

Anyway, I think that I have started to figure it out. It seems that when I told it to backup one particular site only, it didn't pass the setting and it tried to backup all the sites again (hence the delay).

When I actually did a backup on a specific small site, it went OK. This led me to believe that there must be some problem with a specific site and I tried backing them up one by one. Eventually, I believe that I found the problematic site. It's probably some folders in it with badly encoded names (some issue with Greek characters).

So, hopefully, I will solve it soon.

Thank you for your quick reply though - it is much appreciated.

(25 Mar, 22:05) gsarig gsarig's gravatar image
Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×2

question asked: 24 Mar, 20:31

question was seen: 307 times

last updated: 25 Mar, 22:05

Related questions

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM