WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am in the process of transferring an existing website to be hosted on Webfaction. At least for the time being, the domain name (DNS) hosting is still kept at the previous host. I understand that the DNS A record configurations are hence done with the existing domain name host. What I couldn't understand yet is that how I configure Webfaction to serve the correct application for the DNS-resolved request arriving at the Webfaction server IP.

I.e., let's say I have a domain mydomain.fi. I have already configured a Webfaction app to serve at mydomain.webfactional.com (I will use this to build the clone of the website). I cannot configure the website to use the domain mydomain.fi; the control panel says "invalid domain", probably because the domain hasn't been added to the domain list. But I also cannot add the domain to the domain list, because it gives an error that the domain is already existing (true, it is). So how does the Webfaction get to know which app I am trying to get to listen to e.g. the GET mydomain.fi/ request, if I cannot configure the domain itself?

Is there something I am missing? I understand using A records you can only resolve URL to an IP, not an URL to another URL at an IP. Does the Webfaction somehow start to allow me using the mydomain.fi in the domain list after I have configured the A record first at the external DNS host? If so, doesn't that involve quite a long moment where the domain would serve the Webfaction boilerplate, instead the new location, as I couldn't configure it in advance what to serve?

asked 27 Jun, 13:17

synchronos's gravatar image

synchronos
accept rate: 0%

edited 27 Jun, 13:18

You need to add the domain to the control panel and assign it to the website record. It sounds like "mydomain.fi" or a subdomain thereof already exists on another WebFaction account, preventing you from adding it. Please open a support ticket so we can help with this.

permanent link

answered 27 Jun, 16:21

maryh's gravatar image

maryh ♦♦
1.3k6
accept rate: 36%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×102
×30

question asked: 27 Jun, 13:17

question was seen: 80 times

last updated: 27 Jun, 16:21

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM